6/30/2006

Furniture...

Last night, after doing a little personal inventory, I realized that I have only bought one piece of furniture in my life - my bed. When I moved out of my parent's home I rented a furnished home. Along the way people would offer a sofa or a bookcase they wanted to get rid of to supplement the crappy stuff that came with my rental. By the time I moved out I had replaced most of my landlord's furniture with other people's hand-me-downs. When it came time to move into my own home, I had everything I needed except the bed. Everything else - sofa, chairs, tables, bookshelves, lamps, etc. - were either previously owned, gifts, or things I made myself. Hell, even my house is second-hand. Someone agreed to give me their house provided I paid to have it moved to another site. You can see video of it moving, an amazing process that happened all in one day. It was a sight to see my "new" house roll right down the main street of my little town. I guess I believe that if something is still useful and isn't a total piece of shit, may as well keep it rather than add it to another growing pile of garbage while going out and buying a replacement (that will someday end up in an even bigger garbage pile).

1 comment:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

That picture contains furniture from my dorm! I'd swear to it. I had a shock when I scrolled down to see it.