12/12/2008

Documentary Film Of The Day: Man On Wire...

This is a film whose Netflix release I've been anxiously awaiting. It's about Philippe Petit and his 1974 tightrope walk between the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. Petit had been consumed with the idea for this stunt when he saw renderings of the towers long before it was ever completed. Prior to this, he had tightrope-walked between the towers of Notre Dame cathedral and towers on the Sydney Harbor Bridge. Figuring out a way to span the tightrope without anyone noticing was extremely complicated and the movie reassembles the team that made it happen. I liked it a lot. Cinematically, I thought it was beautifully shot. I like it when people try things that seem utterly impossible, even if they serve no real practical purpose. I think doing things like this makes us all question perceived boundaries which often leads to innovation and discovery.

Add it to your queues HERE.

11 comments:

Distributorcap said...

you are the second person who said this is really worth seeing, some woman in my office - who i never would suspect would watch any of this, loved it

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I got vertigo just looking at the DVD cover.

Dr Zibbs said...

I want to see this.

Anonymous said...

We just watched it last week, it was pretty good!

paperback reader said...

I saw it in the artsy fartsy theater awhile back, and wasn't as amazed as everyone else seems to be. Still, to have all that footage from the era was pretty amazing.

I'd recommend another doc I saw at a festival instead: Stranded, which was the best documentary I saw last year, about that "Alive" plane crash.

Gwen said...

It has been added to my queue.

Cora said...

That looks amazing! Thanks for the tip. I think I'll add this to my list too. (egads, my list is getting lonnngggg).

Subject change: so, Goofy, huh?! Hee hee hee. I had you pegged as more of a Pluto man. Shows what I know. :-) Thanks for the comment - that had me cracking up all day!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what Dr. Monkey said. It looks worthwhile to watch but would I have my hands over my face the whole time?

Miss Alex said...

I saw this in the city when it came out... great movie. Only the French accents were gettint to me after a while... that and I hated that he cheated on his girlfreind... lol

K and/or K said...

One of my top 2 movies of the year--hands down! Loved his perspective on life. Balls out!

Some Guy said...

K and/or K: Welcome! Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool.