12/06/2006

1983 - A Year In Pictures...

Right about now is when all the TV stations and news agencies start hauling out their "Year in Review" programs.

How lame.

It's WAY too soon to start getting nostalgic over 2006. Can't we wait a few years? How about something a little less recent. Since this is my blog and I get to do what the fuck I want, here's my retrospective of 1983:

War Games, where a young Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy taught us how to love.

10 hours a day average spent playing Wiffle Ball during the summer. Number of balls lost to the cranky next-door neighbor=289.

Lik-M-Aid to offset the fact that an eleven-year-old just can't seem to find enough sources of sugar.

Nerf football played every day after school until dinner during the winter. Average elapsed time before your new Nerf football had a big 'ol tear in it=5 minutes.

The A-Team. Has anything since had the cocksuredness of Hannibal? The sizzle of Dirk Benedict's "Faceman"? Or the captivating banter of B.A. and Murdoch? No fucking way.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought WarGames was so cool because NORAD was in Colorado Springs where I was living.

I always get excited about stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I remember taking piano lessons on the same nigth A-team was on. So I would go to the ladies house early, and if I timed it right, I was able to catch the first 30 minutes of it befire it was time for my lesson.

Frank Sirmarco said...

1983...was that about the same time everyone was riding around on rollerskates and trying to see Star 80?

Some Guy said...

Amy- Plus, you had the Garden Of The Gods.

Slinger- Welcome! That's a bitch. Did you learn the A-Team theme song for piano? You know- BAH bah duh Bah, buh BAH buh...

Frank- I know one person that was - 'Ol Carrot-feet. Ah, inside humor...

Anonymous said...

there was always something really WRONG with the T-man...

Excellent idea, BTW, pulling out something REALLY retro instead of the review of the not-yet-ended 2006...

IDigHootchAndCootch said...

is that the star of david hanging near mr.t's navel?!?!

This adds further credibility to my theory that mr.t and sammy davis jr... are the same person.

Anonymous said...

Chris, this isn't even related to this particular post, but I was looking through your personal pics again and just had to tell you that my grandparents used to live in Wawa. Great place. Love the huge goose on the way in. :)

Anonymous said...

Didn't you just love the 80s? BTW, you've been tagged... it is one you may have already done, but I want to know more. :)

Some Guy said...

B.O.- I try. It's a lotta work being creative.

Hootch- I was thinking the same thing, babe.

Boob Lady- My only memories of Wawa are of the crazy lady in the picture feeding the fox. I'll bet it's nice in the summer.

Marni- Done and done.

vikkitikkitavi said...

I miss my neighbors down the street, who organized after-work street whiffle ball games featuring only middle aged people. The best was when one guy hammered the whiffle into the cranky old guy's yard, only to have his cat race toward it, pick it up in his mouth, and take off down the block with it.

Game over for that day. After that we made sure to keep spare whiffles on hand.

SkippyMom said...

I LOVED this post....I graduated HS in 84, so I can completely relate...wish you had thrown in some really bad clothing and hairstyles tho...giggle...

If you need pics I am sure I can provide them [Go-Go's wanna be, anyone? yeah, that was me...They didn't call me Belinda in HS for nothin'...[shame]

hugs