- The morning after I made the video, Megan and I drove down to Chicago. I knew the weather was going to be snowy and shitty and it was. It was okay until just north of Grand Rapids. Roads were partially snow covered and getting worse the further south we went. I was behind a semi in the left lane, when all of a sudden he started braking quickly. Anyone who has driven in the snow understands those split-seconds where you are gripping the steering wheel wondering whether you are going to hit someone, get hit, or go off into the ditch. Luckily we barely avoided a collision and I did some white-knuckle driving for the next hundred and fifty miles or so. Once we got into the Chicago area, the snow was getting thick and slippery, even for a 4WD vehicle.
- We had intended to stay at my sister's, but a sick three-year-old made us reconsider and stay at my mom's. We spent Christmas Eve & Day in the suburbs with family. It was pretty laid back. I avoided church completely. Some of the foods I had consumed to this point included: Portillo's Italian Beef and a Chocolate Cake Milkshake, Uncle Pete's Swedish Meatballs, Godiva Chocolates, Aunt Leona's Sour Cream Coffee Cake, and countless Christmas cookies.
- Friday, Megan got to go to a mall (something she never gets to do up here) with no rushing from an annoying boyfriend asking when we could leave. She bought a bunch of stuff and I didn't have to go. It was a win-win. Later that night we ditched the truck, checked into the Palmer House and had dinner with friends.
- Saturday we had Christmas with my dad, step-mom, and aunt. We took the train from the city. I know a lot of you may disagree, but I fucking love public transportation, especially if the places you're going are easily accessible. It came in really handy a bunch of different times. After we got back to the city, we walked a few blocks to Pizano's (even though we weren't hungry) and got some deep-dish pizza and beers.
- Sunday I got to go to The Mutiny, a great dive-bar on Western Ave. in Chicago. My friend, Guido, watches most games there. Their gigantic urinal is pictured above. Even though the suck-ass fucking Bears lost, it was fun, especially for me, someone who misses watching his team with like-minded fans. I drank lots of Pabst and ate a bunch of free brats. Then we met the girlfriend/wives at a bar in Andersonville, a Swedish neighborhood on the north side. I had some good schnitzel at a German place for dinner before we called it a night.
- Monday we decided to relax and not do anything specific. We walked over to "The Bean" and watched people. Then we walked up Michigan Ave. and had a couple beers at the top of the Hancock. Later we met blog friends at Club Lago. It was a lot more intimate than last year's get-together, but any chance to see fellow bloggers is always enjoyable. Grant then gave us a ride back to our hotel.
- The drive home yesterday was clear until we got to around Manton when visibility was shit and we had to slow way down. We got home around 6:00 and I had an F to the mother fucking P (frozen pizza). Today I was a lazy slug and watched movies and drank beer.
Happy New Year, Everyone!