10/07/2006

Meet The Minority Whip...

This guy's name is Steny Hoyer. He's from Maryland. He's the second highest ranking Democrat in the house. I've never heard of another person named Steny. It rhymes with Benny, Denny, Kenny, and Lenny, but apparently those names were a little too mainstream for Mom & Pop Hoyer. I have mixed feelings about this name. Part of me thinks that it sounds just a touch "hoi polloi", but I do appreciate the uniqueness of it.

By the way, when a person "hoys", what exactly are they doing?

6 comments:

lulu said...

Maybe it's short for Stendahl or something like that.

"Hoi" actually means "the" so when you say "hoi polloi" you are really saying "the the masses"

lulu said...

Sorry, I meant when you say "The hoi polloi".

Some Guy said...

Lulu- Funny you mention that. I looked it up on Wikipedia and read all about how "hoi polloi" has been misused since the 50s. I figured I'd perpetuate the misuse.

vikkitikkitavi said...

When you say "the La Brea tar pits," you are actually saying "the the tar tar pits."

But fuck those foreigners, right?

Some Guy said...

Vikki- I like Taco Bell commercials where they talk about real queso cheese or carne asada steak.

vikkitikkitavi said...

In CA, you also frequently see things like "Temple Hillel Santa Monica," which for some reason cracks me up.