9/28/2006

Skiing...

This weekend is our annual National Ski Patrol first aid refresher/chairlift evacuation drill/CPR recertification. It's always the last weekend of September. This is usually when my thoughts turn to the white stuff and the anticipation of another ski season.

Skiing is by far my favorite sport. I've been doing it since I was five. I learned in the midwest, but have spent time skiing in Colorado, Utah, and the Swiss Alps. Above all, I love the speed. I love to go "scary-fast". I also love the movement involved. It's the closest I'll ever come to being graceful. The downside I've found to patrolling is that people mistakenly think we are "ski cops" when really our primary role is to help the injured and be ambassadors for our area. Before you ask, yes, I've tried snowboarding, but I couldn't get into it. Unlike many skiers, I hold no ill will towards snowboarders.

The bitch of skiing for most people is the learning curve. If you don't learn when you're small, be prepared for a bit of pain on your first dozen outings. Once you get the hang of it, though, and your confidence is high, it can be one of the greatest sensations you'll have.

1 comment:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

How do you not have ski bunnies throwing themselves at you? I just don't understand it...