OK, this post is not going to make any sense to those of you who didn't either grow up around Chicago or watch a considerable amount of WGN on cable in the late 70s/early 80s. I don't know why I'm choosing to make this list, but just let me get it out of my system. I promise I'll soon be back to castigating politicians and teasing uppity famous people.
These are the ones I could remember:
- Long Chevrolet - commercials had the Long's son as a newsboy who always got a pie in the face.
- Celozzi-Ettleson Chevrolet - Nick & Maury holding bills saying "Where you always save more money!". At one time they had the #1 Chevy dealer in the country. Hard to find, tough to beat.
- Al Piemonte Ford - Famous for the patented Al Piemonte "karate chop"-arm motion in his commercials.
- Fencl-Tufo Chevy - Get a "Monster of a deal". Had moster puppets in their commercials.
- Bob Rohrman - The "King of the Car Dealers" with a roaring lion in his commercials.
- Harry Schmerler - Your "Singing Ford Dealer". Sang "Rock-a-bye your baby."
- Dan O'Connor - O'Connor Can.