9/15/2006

Friendly Competition...

There aren't too many things that get my competitive juices flowing. The board game Sorry! is one of them. I rarely play it, but when I do, look out. Usually it gets dragged out during the holidays at my house. It seems benign enough - pick cards and move your pieces around the board until they are all in your "goal". However, the creators knew the hook to this game would be the ability to fuck with the other players. The other facet is that you are often forced to decide which opponent to screw over. Sometimes it can be strategic, other times it can be based purely on revenge. I also like that the games aren't necessarily over quickly. That way, any deep-seeded resentment that has been buried for years between opponents has a chance to bubble to the surface and be confronted openly. It can be very cathartic.

6 comments:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Milton Bradley has sowed many seeds of vengeance in my heart too. No one can defeat me in Axis and Allies, but Monopoly has caused me particular grief. My husband is practically unbeatable.

I'd forgotten that Sorry! had such potential for ruthlessness.

Anonymous said...

People usually end up crying at my house after playing Sorry. Pieces and cards get tossed... it might make for good reality TV.

Marni said...

I CANNOT play this game with my kids... they are SO fricken' mean to me! We always wind up yelling... but all in good fun of course.

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend and I have this game, play once in awhile. He is the one who bought it and taught me to play. To make it a little more interesting, we each play two colors at the same time, a little more challenging. The first time we played it, he was wandering around the board with his pieces and I was stuck at Start, thinking, yeah, this is lots of fun. Then it did turn out to be fun, we usually play while eating lunch, which also slows down the gulping and aids the digestion.
Like Dirty says, this might be fun to play this weekend.

Some Guy said...

Good to know I'm not alone.

vikkitikkitavi said...

Did you ever watch that Carol Burnett Show sketch where Eunice and her husband and Mama play Sorry?

Classic.