12/07/2006

When I Make My Millions...

As I've probably mentioned numerous times, I am not the type of person that is motivated by money. New stuff is not a big priority in my life. I don't want this to come off as me sounding superior in any way. I've just never had a problem driving an old car or accepting hand-me-down furniture. I don't need a huge home with modern gadgets. I can't deny that I'd enjoy them if I had them, but these things aren't a source of ultimate happiness for me. You may think I'm full of shit, but that's OK.

I honestly believe that some day I will have a lot of money. I'm not sure why - I just do. One of the things I look forward to doing with my future wealth is endowing large portions of it to causes I feel strongly about. In the past I've done a few philanthropic things and enjoyed them. However, I've never had the kind of disposable income to donate in the ways I wish I could.

One of the things I feel really passionate about are people who have been imprisoned for crimes they didn't commit. Imagine sitting for years in a prison, knowing you didn't belong there. For me it would be as bad as any torture. The hopelessness of not being able to explain why they "got the wrong guy" is unimaginable, not to mention the sort of prison life you are forced to endure in the meantime. The sense of loss, once things get straightened out and you're freed, must be beyond words - lost time with family and friends, lost opportunities to go where you want and do what you want, lost time spent walking in the woods or hearing good live music. For this reason, I think any wrongly imprisoned person should be allowed to live a life of ease and prosperity once they're out, guilt-free. I'm not sure what, if any, provisions the government and justice system makes for these individuals as far as compensation, but I'll wager it's inadequate.

I found this organization that deals with this sort of thing. If you're like me and think that these people are getting the shaft (and you've already made your millions), check them out. Or maybe you're in a position to volunteer in some way.

Free the West Memphis Three!

And now, back to more crude humor...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% - I can not even imagine what these people go through. It is amazing that in this day of technolgy that this is still a problem. But I do know that more and more people are being freed, but still too long for them to sit in jail and mis out on life. yeah they are given millions, but that money cannot buy back life events -children's birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

Valerie said...

so if it's not money that motivates you...what does.

what thing/things make you just want to jump up and give yourself a high five?

Some Guy said...

Val- I am motivated by the pursuit of knowledge, nurturing personal relationships, and giving comfort to those who lack it. The beauty found in nature is a big source of happiness as well. I could work my ass off so I could have a new car or more stuff, but I value free time too much.

As far as things that would make me "give myself a high five", it would never be because I purchased a new big screen TV or new flatware. It usually comes from accomplishing something difficult. I remember when I passed my senior certification for the ski patrol, something I spent HOURS AND HOURS practicing for, I felt pretty fulfilled.

Frank Sirmarco said...

I feel pretty satisfied when my gut isn't so big that I can see my twig and berries when I shower.

Valerie said...

Frank - I hope you are currently satisfied.

Anonymous said...

Given what motivates you, you done good today ! Thanks

vikkitikkitavi said...

I love both those documentaries on the WM3. Afterward, I wrote letters to the Gov. of Arkansas, and donated to the legal defense fund. How can they be so fucking blind? In fact, they can't. They just do not want to admit how badly the fucked up by convicting those three guys.

Now you got me all riled up, damn you.

BTW, I sent my coworkers a list of things needed from anysoldier.com and put out a collection box in the lunchroom. I got a ton of stuff that I am mailing out tomorrow, hoping to get it to my adopted unit in Iraq by Xmas. It was really fun to do, and didn't cost very much, and I found a unit that was really in need of some small comforts.

Plus, the people at the website have everything organized really well. I just can't recommend it enough.