7/03/2011

Documentary Film Of The Day: Titicut Follies...

One thing that's become clear to me with all the documentary-watching that I do is that I'm pretty much interested in any subject, no matter how obscure.  What?  There's a new movie about blind basket-weavers living in the jungles of Papua-New Guinea?  That sounds like something I should know more about!  In this case, it is a look inside a hospital for the criminally insane in Bridgewater, Massachusetts during the late sixties.  It's by a director named Frederick Wiseman.  I've wanted to see this film for a long time, but it is extremely hard to find.  It is a difficult film to watch and the picture and sound quality are not the best, but it is fascinating if you give it a chance.  According to Wikipedia, Titicut Follies is "the first known instance in the history of the American film industry that a film was banned from general distribution for reasons other than obscenity, immorality or national security."  I don't know how long this will last, but it is available free online right now until somebody yanks it.  It is divided into three parts:


Part One

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this film in college. You're right, really hard to watch.

Dale said...

My dad worked in a hospital that had a ward for the criminally insane. Many believe it's where I came from.

gennifer6 said...

(sigh) you're making me want to invest in a Netflix account.