4/28/2009

A Rare Political Post...

I used to write more about politics. Ever since the election, I've needed a break. I still follow stuff, but not with the intensity I had pre-election.

I am kind of excited about this Arlen Spector defection. Not that I think it's going to have a huge impact. At least it will force republicans to continuously answer questions about why they suck so bad for a few news cycles. It would be so cool if Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, the two moderate republicans from Maine, followed suit. I wonder if people within the republican party have figured out how they would respond to some sort of mass exodus.

I can only imagine the sort of behind-the-scenes political gamesmanship that went on to make this switch happen.

2 comments:

will said...

If the Repugs wanted to make me happy, I suggest they all start running in mass, for a steep cliff and don't stop til they find the cliff's bottom. As lemmings they supported Bush so as lemmings off they they go.

Johnny Yen said...

Watching the CNN coverage, and Specter's news conference was fascinating. He said, basically, as my old friend Larry pointed out, that he didn't leave the party; the party left him.

I'm working in my head on a post about it all-- about what I learned from my counselor about Skinnerian psychology when my son's mother and I were on the ropes, and how this all reminds me of something you wouldn't expect-- the implosion of the far-left, specifically the Weather Underground, in the late sixties and early seventies.