9/23/2007

Documentary Film Of The Day: Okie Noodling...

Noodling (or noodlin', as it is more commonly pronounced) is only legal in four states. It is the act of catching catfish with nothing but your hands. Noodlers go into lakes, find holes where catfish live, and dangle their hands to entice them. When the fish defensively bite the noodlers' hands, they try to grab the fish through their gills and haul them out of the water. Some of these fish are massive, upwards of 50 pounds. The sport can be very dangerous. Often noodlers must dive down to find holes and if they get caught on anything, they can drown. They are also in waters full of biting snakes and turtles as well as beavers. This is the kind of documentary I love - a portrait of a small cross-section of society that does a highly specified thing. It's not a long film (about an hour). I found it fascinating. If you've liked my other Netflix recommendations, I think you'll like this one.

9 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I've heard about this one but I have never seen it. I'll check it out soon.

Clare said...

That sounds really entertaining. Definitely going on my list.

Anonymous said...

Now this is too weird. My brother was just asking me yesterday what the hell that catfishing thing by hand was. Now I have an answer.

Joe said...

THANK YOU!

SkylersDad said...

One of my old friends from the Navy got into hard hat diving, welding on rigs in the Gulf. He said he was never scared there but was terrified when they had to go down into the Mississippi river and weld rescue cables onto a barge that sank. He said huge catfish and sturgeon were bumping into him, knocking him off his feet constantly!

Chris Hinrichs said...

Dr.: Apparent;y, there's a sequel in the works.

Clare: Let me know what you think.

Kirby: Glad I could help!

Bubs: No problem.

S.D.: They are massive and extremely ugly.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of danger to risk just to fist a catfish, but hey...whatever turns you on, man.

bubbles said...

When my parents lived in Arkansas a life-long resident was at their place doing some work. The guy asked my mom if it was o.k. to go down to their boat dock at lunch and "do some noodlin'".

Mom said she was almost afraid to ask... but he explained it to her.

Ms. Laaw-yuhr said...

I have seen this doc and it is AMAZING. Those guys are insane. Kudos to you for reviving this.