8/30/2006

Anti-Consumerism...

As I've probably mentioned, I am not a shopper. I consume very little. I use things until they barely retain the properties of a solid. For instance, so far this year my new clothing purchases have consisted of a 12-pack of white crew socks and a couple 3-packs of boxer shorts. I'm not kidding. The only thing even approaching a chain store in my town is a Dollar General that I've been in once. Petoskey, the town I work in, has a Wal-Mart, a K-Mart, an Office Max, a Home Depot, and an old-fashioned JC Penneys unlike the kind you find at a mall. They are currently constructing a Lowes and a Bed Bath & Beyond.

Recently, the mother of the guy I work with asked if I had seen the new Bed Bath & Beyond going in. I said yes.

"Aren't you excited?" She asked

In her defense, she doesn't really know about my disdain for unnecessary consumption. I tend to keep it to myself.

"Yeah, I'm on the edge of my fucking seat. In fact, I can't wait to bring my new flannel dust ruffle and platinum shower curtain rings up to the register knowing that .00001% of my sale will go to a 12-year-old Malaysian girl. That is the embodiment of satisfaction for me."

People, I beg you. Stop buying shit you don't need!

9 comments:

Cup said...

Maybe you should join the Compact movement. I was going to try it for a month, but baubles bedazzled me.

Megan said...

I really really really really TRY not to buy shit I don't need, and I think for the most part I'm pretty good, but I do have my vices: wine, books, and clothes. Oh, and crystal meth. I do try to keep the clothes sweatshop free though.

dirty said...

Chris...

I love to shop...HELP.

In my defense though I did use cloth diapers on 2 of my kids...so that I wouldn't be "buying shit I didn't need". Those diapers are in the closet while my 2 year old runs around in Huggies...damn me.

lulu said...

I'm with Megan, books, wine and clothes. In my case mainly books.

Some Guy said...

I'm cool with you guys buying books, wine (a grocery as far as I'm concerned), and crystal meth. The clothes buying is a lost cause, so I won't fight you on that. I'm talking more about knick-knacky stuff that has no significance.

dirty said...

Knick-knacky stuff??? I'm safe then...I rarely do that.

vikkitikkitavi said...

Knick-knacky stuff? Like carved fish??

Some Guy said...

Ha, Vikki, you thought you caught me! The big difference is that I give all my fish away. Anything that is handmade or has sentimental value is exempt. For some reason I can't imagine a lot of sentimentality coming from something bought at Pottery Barn or Pier One.

Anonymous said...

I try not to buy stuff I don't need too! I have a new blog on minimalism and I'm trying to get rid of all the stuff I don't need or use also.
http://minimalistwith3kids.blogspot.com/