9/13/2007

My Choices For The Latest Green Monkey Music Project...

First, hats off to Splotchy for doing all this. I love sharing music and this has been a great way to do it. The latest installment contains songs with non-English lyrics. Here are my contributions:
  • Buckwheat Zydeco - Drivin' Old Grey: I bought some zydeco music because I thought that one Paul Simon tunes was fun. Zydeco music is like banjo music in that it makes you feel happy. You can't help but tap your feet.
  • Ibrahim Ferrer - Boliviana: Some of you may be familiar with Ibrahim from the Buena Vista Social Club. This is from one of his solo albums and one of his prettiest in my opinion. It's a shame he passed away not that long ago.
  • Fred Buscaglione - Porfirio Villarosa: I was turned on to a bunch of Italian music by some Italian friends of mine. This is one of them. He does a lot of songs about gangsters. This one is kind of fun.
  • St. Moses Choir of South Africa - Halefa Tshele Wetswe: While I was in South Africa I had to attend a few church services. I must say, if church was like that here, I might consider going just for the music. It was really amazing. This is off a disc of S.A. gospel music I bought while I was there.
  • Los Fabulosos Cadillacs - Vasos Vacios: I can't remember how I happened upon these guys. I think I liked the cover art on the CD, so I bought it. They've got a cool, ska sound.
  • They Might Be Giants - Greek #3: Leave it to me to work a TMBG song into a world music mix. This is a Greek translation of one of their songs.
  • Paolo Conte - Genova Per Noi: Another Italian, this guy is an old school crooner, sort of an Italian Tom Waits. He's awesome.
  • Edith Piaf - Hymne A La Amour: When I first got to France my junior year of college, they had a crash course in French. The teacher played an Edith Piaf (pictured above) song called "Milord" and we had to figure out what she was saying. I like this song a lot. I think it's about love.
Be sure to check out the rest of the entries HERE!

3 comments:

vikkitikkitavi said...

I hate to beat a dead horse (although I hear that dead horse beating IS a category of world music), but I'm pretty sure this list means that you hate America.

Cup said...

I really like this mix, Chris. Very eclectic, and yet it works well together — the best kind of mix you can put together!

Dale said...

Just listening to some of your picks Chris, excellent stuff. I really like almost any choir so the St. Moses track was an auto shoe in. Thanks for the tunes.