9/27/2007

A Little Something For My Cubs Fans...

Seeing as the Cubs are on the brink of either great success or massive (predictable) failure, I thought I'd post a little something I happened upon recently. Some guy named Pat Imig did a post featuring audio captures of Harry Caray's last broadcast, a Cubs rout of the Phillies at Wrigley. In it, you can hear Harry:
  • Call Manny Alexander "Danny".
  • Commiserate with Tom Arnold about his divorce from Roseanne.
  • Accuse the Wrigley vendors of spiking his chocolate malt cup with alcohol
  • Tell Steve Stone not to take the game too seriously.
  • Attribute Hack Wilson's success to sleep deprivation and alcohol.
There's much more. This really took me back to the days I used to tune into games around the seventh inning just to see how fucked up Harry was. Enjoy!

The link is HERE.

4 comments:

Moderator said...

Hey. He was doing that stuff on the south side long before setting foot in Wrigley!

But the guy was a ton of fun to listen to.

Tenacious S said...

I miss Jack Brickhouse's straight-laced, "Hey, hey! It's a homerun!" Harry sure was fun. We used to wonder if he would fall out of the press box.

GETkristiLOVE said...

It was definitely the highlight of every summer trip to Chicago - just to see HK wave his hat and butcher that song. I miss him!

lulu said...

I really wish that I could listen to that, but the damn internet takes for ever to reach this side of the world. I miss Harry, and I miss the Cubs. I keep hoping that I am the curse and that now that I am gone they might actually win.