- Hit it where they ain't!
- Give it a ride!
- Show 'em where you live! (which didn't make sense, for instance, if you lived somewhere in the direction of foul territory).
- See it and hit it!
- Keep your eye on the ball!
- Just like batting practice!
- Pick your pitch!
- Good eye!
- A hit's a run! (if there were men in scoring position)
- Just make contact!
- Alright, Joe! Start us off! (to a lead-off hitter)
- C'mon, Bill! Li'l bingo!
- A walk's as good as a hit!
- For the love of god, Lester! Don't strike out again!
As I've written before, I used to play a shitload of baseball growing up, both organized and informal. I remember playing from dawn til dusk on many occasions. I even used to play a two-on-two version with a pitcher and an outfielder. It involved "pitcher's hands" (you're out if the pitcher had the ball before you got to first) and invisible men on base. I can remember the goofy shit we'd say when people were up. They include: