11/13/2008

Geekitecture...

I first started working with a 3D modeling program for work around the same time as the height of the Lord Of The Rings movies. I had never used a program like this and was trying to figure out all the commands and features -- the bells and whistles. Since I still didn't feel quite confident enough with my ability to use it for an actual billable job, I decided to have a little fun. My pal and fellow nerd, Frank, had a vision of his dream home which was basically an updated replica of a Hobbit hole. I made this fly-through for him and now I share it with you. Some of my older readers will recognize the infamous ugly green plaid upholstery (one of the program's defaults). At the end, you can see I started getting a little carried away.

I know I've been posting a lot of video lately, but this one is just over a minute. Anyone else have a vision of THEIR dream home?

15 comments:

SkylersDad said...

Very cool Chris! I love this stuff.

Dr Zibbs said...

I want a boob shaped home with the nipple being a smokestack.

Geo said...

Bears House! Bears House! Or The Bumblebee!

Doc said...

Perhaps something in a Tiki bar motif.

Should that prove too complicated for the program, I'd settle for a fly by tour of the Batcave.

Doc

McGone said...

I would totally live here if I wasn't for the constant back pain from crouching through the halls and, of course, the headaches from banging my head in the doorways.

Miss Alex said...

Crap i hate my job... we don't get youtube or hulu...

raf said...

I love those houses! I'd add some more rooms(library,spare bedroom,dressing room)and cover up the walls with a mix of greek,moroccan and Niki de Saint Phalle mosaic style!A bit weird..but I love it!

Gwen said...

Dude! That hobbit hole is nicer than my two-story brick!

teri said...

is that a trap door to get from the bathroom to the game room?

It reminds me of Maya. Software that I learned in school for animation.

Very cool.

MelO said...

aw, how cool! I would lose years of my life playing with a software like that!!

very cool.

btw, what's up with the green plaid? (tee hee hee)

Asparagus P said...

Yo, that place is the shiz...nit! Frodo must be getting all kinds of trim up in that hizzy..

Some Guy said...

McGone- The entire thing is at a human scale as to prevent excessive head-bumping.

Teri- Yeah. Trap door through the shower.

Micgar said...

Wow that was cool! You have a very cool dream house! What kind of program did you use? I would like to use something like this to make idiotic cartoons! Do you know which type of program to use for making idiotic cartoons?

Alli said...

awesome!!
however, I don't think the home measures up to correct fire code.. not enough windows!

Frank Sirmarco said...

I always loved the trap door. Someday I'll have a hobbit hole - someday...