8/17/2009

Time To Get Serious...

Don't worry. I'm haven't forsaken my bread and butter - dopey videos and other goofy nonsense. After watching the last video for the millionth time (because I crack myself up so much), it has come to my attention that I am in rotten shape. The thing is, staying thin was always something I'd taken for granted. It was never something I had to work very hard at. The picture above is me in front of the Capitol after riding cross-country from San Francisco. It was probably when I was at my most fit. My legs were like granite and my ass was like less-fragrant granite. I didn't have a six-pack, but I didn't have the keg that I have now. All of that muscle has been replaced with flab over the last few years and it's time for me to do something.

Rather than join a gym, I've decided to make up my own little (free) exercise routine. Today was the first day and I think it's something I can stick with. I'm starting out with a 1.5 mile uphill bike ride to the base of the local big-ass sledding hill. Then, I climb the 462 steps to the top where I'm rewarded with a gorgeous panoramic view of the lake and downtown (as well as a functional drinking fountain).
Then I climb down and enjoy a nice, breezy cool-down as I coast most of the way home. As my strength and stamina increases, I figure I can add distance to my bike route and reps to my stair-climbing. When winter comes, I can still do the stair part. I'm also going to cut out beer on weeknights (and substitute heroin). Granted, there is the temptation of a Dairy Queen that I'll have to pass each time, but I was able to fight the urge today, so we'll see. All this combined with the healthy food Megan prepares for us should have me back to fighting strength in no time.

Thanks also to Son of a Thomas (and the second by Dr. Zibbs) for their comments on the last post. That was the last little kick in the pants I needed.

8 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

If it makes you feel better I got on the scale today and I weigh 208 - the most I've ever weighed.

And this is after I just told my wife I think I just lost 3 pounds.

I am back to running though.

(and I'm also 6'2" but still. I feel my face is getting chubby).

SkylersDad said...

I have heard that meth takes off the pounds quicker heroin, but it's your routine so I won't butt in!

Seriously, congrats on making exercise a regular part of your life.

The Peach Tart said...

Besides losing weight, you'll also have more energy and sleep better. Just another great side effect of exercise. Just say no to heroin though but definitely no weed, it gives you the munchies and then you'll just eat all the calories you burned.

Prunella Jones said...

I find bulimia works well.

Also, dancing is very aerobic, lots of fun, and it couldn't be cheaper. All you have to do is turn on some music and shake that ass.

Son of a Thomas said...

I don't know if I should feel good or bad so I'll just stay indifferent.

Remember sex burns the calories.

Unless you do that food sex thing.

Can't help you there.

and Zibbs, your face is getting chubby. I can barly see your horns.

will said...

I find carrying several extra pounds in a back pack for weight is a plus for the exercise... I favor several beers and a large bag of Chips Ahoy in my back pack.

Mnmom said...

Now you're making me feel guilty. I'm a sack of lard myself and need to do something about it. I walk a lot but then eat whatever I want, so nothing gained - or would that be nothing lost?

Gwen said...

Bravo! Proud of ya!

I feel the same way about my body right now but I can't seem to get my fat ass out there to do anything about it.