6/04/2010

Documentary Film Of The Day: Visual Acoustics: The Modernism Of Julius Shulman...

I'm not sure how much interest this film will be to those who don't really give a shit about modernist architecture, design, or photography (or learning about new stuff in general). I'm interested in all of them, so I enjoyed this one. Julius Shulman is widely regarded as one of the world's preeminent architectural photographers, especially of the modernist homes of southern California. He was in his nineties when the film was made and unfortunately died in 2009. He had worked with architects like Frank Lloyd Wright, Richard Neutra, and Frank Gehry. It is beautifully shot and has some neat, illustrative graphics. Again, this film caters to very specific tastes, so please don't complain if you Netflix it and find it boring.

You can add it to your queues HERE.

7 comments:

Candy's daily Dandy said...

OK, but I'm gonna let that one simmer on the que for a bit.

joe said...

I love all types of architecture. One of my fave books in my library is "American Shelter" by Lester Walker.

will said...

thanks ... and I moved it up to my next flix.

Gwen said...

Once again, you've recommended something I can't pass up.

As an aside, I watched Good Hair Sunday. It was surprisingly interesting. Give it a whirl.

Word Ver: twaxing. Twaxing is when you tweet about your new Brazilian.

Some Guy said...

Gwen- Yeah, I liked Good Hair, too.

Whiskeymarie said...

Sigh- my dream house is some sort of 50's-60's California modernist house, which I will probably never have.
So of course I have to see this, if only to fuel my house-lust a bit more...

GETkristiLOVE said...

BTW, I liked Objectified... especially when they talk to the Mac guy about the design of their products.