2/19/2010

A Thrill...

Have you ever been asked the question "If you could have dinner with five people - living or dead - who would they be?" It's something I like to think about. My first priority when choosing my guest list is to include someone funny, so the first slot always goes to the late, great George Carlin. My second invitee would be Louis Armstrong, a man whose music affects me more than anyone I can think of. The third would be Carl Sagan, provided he came wearing one of his patented turtlenecks. Fourth, I think I'd invite journalist Bill Moyers for whom I have tremendous respect. Last, but not least, I would invite filmmaker Errol Morris. He was the one that really introduced me to non-fiction film. Plus, I think we share a rampant curiosity and an affinity for all things odd.

Anyway, I'm sitting at my desk this morning and the phone rings. It was Errol Morris. As it turns out, my brother has worked with him on several occasions and told him what a big fan I was of his films. It was a brief conversation while my brother was driving him to a shoot, but at least I had the opportunity to tell him how much I loved his work and how his films are among my all-time favorites.

In thanks for him taking time out of his extremely busy schedule, I'd like to (again) plug his films. You Netflixers need to get off your asses and add these to your queues, STAT!

11 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

How freakin' cool.

Gwen said...

That's awesome! Did you pee a little? Squeal like a girl when you got off the phone? I know you did.

SkylersDad said...

That is pretty dang cool, I bet you still haven't stopped grinning.

Or picking for that matter...

Mnmom said...

Did you silenty scream "OMG!" when you hung up, then text all your BFF's that he called??

I'll bet you are still grinning.

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Did you squeal like a chick at a Beatles show in 1964?

And did you mention commie cocks at all? :)

kirby said...

If his next film is about the Queen's bunghole, I'll know who to blame.

Juz said...

He He! Congrats!

Sans Pantaloons said...

Megan says Yes, Errol Morris phones you, - have you thought of buying a Lottery ticket Chris?

dguzman said...

You're the awesomest, man. And of course Sagan would be wearing a turtleneck; it's all he owns! (owned, I guess... sniffle.)

Nice list of movies too.

Son of a Thomas said...

Did you say "Let's do lunch?" You should have said let's do lunch.

joe said...

Why doesn't anybody tell me these things...
Congrats ;^)