6/10/2009

The Internets Are Cool...


(Video probably NSFW)

Whenever I watch a documentary I really like I tend to do the same things. First, if I have the DVD, I watch whatever bonus material (extra scenes, outtakes, commentaries, etc.) are available. Then I go online to see what other films the director has made and add them to my Netflix queue. After I do that, I do a Google search for the director to see what else I can find out. A lot of times I find interviews, occasionally blogs, as well as stuff on YouTube. Every so often I find an e-mail address. I think its cool as hell that, sometimes, I can actually contact the people who made the film, talk to them about it, and tell them how much I enjoyed it.

I did a POST about a year ago about I Like Killing Flies, a great doc by Matt Mahurin (a scene is posted above). I found Matt's e-mail and asked if I could talk to him about the film and his work. He graciously gave me his phone number and said he'd be happy to chat. I had learned that Matt, in addition to this film, is an accomplished painter, photographer, and music video director. When I called him he was in a hotel lobby in Manhattan working on a screenplay. As a generally curious person I'm always interested in what filmmakers have to say about their films. Matt told me about the thrill of making it into Sundance and what it was like to actually sell his film. I also learn random interesting things like the fact that Tom Waits (who Matt made THIS VIDEO for) makes a delicious pizza. So, if you haven't seen I Like Killing Flies yet, check it out. It is also available for instant viewing. And thanks again, Matt!

More of Matt's work:
IMAGES
VIDEOS
NETFLIX

7 comments:

Fancy Schmancy said...

So many interesting documentaries, so little time...

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Senor Poobomber and myself last year watched every extra on the Lord of the Rings Trilogy box-set. During that time I knitted a blanket out of my own armpit hair and he grew a beard that circled the globe, twice. There was a BOATLOAD of extras!

I feel sort of cheated when you get a DVD that doesn't come with extras or claims it does but "extras" consist of two different trailers and French subtitles. Pah.

McGone said...

Holy crap, I've loved Mahurin's stuff from way back in the day (I have my degree in Illustration). He has a unique and completely distinctive style. That is so awesome that you got to chat him up.

Kimmie said...

You have brass ones. I'd never have the gumption to call him! Good for you.

Son of a Thomas said...

It's cool to interview people of interest. I was lucky I got do do it for a living.

whenharrymetsalad said...

I really enjoyed that film. I liked the way the director captured the personality of Kenny Shopsin without having a bunch of little "so. . .tell me about yourself" sit downs. And although Shopsin doesn't come across as a very nice man, I found myself rooting for him and his restaurant -- the film does a really nice job of placing Shopsin's in the context of its neighborhood and demonstrating what an important part of the community it is.

guido said...

Yet another flick I've got to check out because of you. My list grows... Thanks for the post. I want to hear more from that guy.