7/06/2006

Making Stuff...

I like to make stuff. I like the feeling you get when you take different raw materials and shape and change them into something neat. I also like shows that show you how to make stuff. I was lucky to get to sit in on a seminar given by Norm Abrams on how to create a good workshop. It was fun to see him in all his flannel-clad glory. A dream of mine is to one day have a shop like his with every obscure tool you can think of. For now I've focused on carving freshwater fish decoys, something my uncle got me into. Here are a few samples. The fish are carved from Basswood and airbrushed with acrylic paint. I buy glass eyes from a taxidermy supply catalog. The mounts are driftwood from a beach in Manistique, Michigan. The stones and sand are from Lake Charlevoix by where I live. The strange part is, I don't like to fish at all.

4 comments:

Grant Miller said...

I had a kick-ass tool box that was willed to me by my grandfather. Brought it to college. It ended up getting stolen by some guy that subletted my apartment. Thanks for reminding me. But cool fish.

Flannery Alden said...

Wow. I'm impressed. Neat sculpture.

I was wondering, though, do your friends and family get tired of receiving fish as gifts? I just started knitting recently and plan to knit scarves for everyone. I want to avoid gift fatigue though. What's your experience been?

Chris said...

I've only given a few people multiple fish and they are the type that would never grouse about it. Once I make one for someone I'm careful not to repeat unless I'm sure they'll appreciate another. I think homemade knit scarves are a guaranteed winner. Just limit it to one per customer.

BreAnna said...

i really wasn't expecting those to be so freaking awesome!